Next, the main regard to cookies such as information to the user of the web of the type of cookies used by the web, purposes thereof, consent of the user, forms of requesting consent, legal notice, cookies policy, etc.
1. Concept of Cookies
Cookies are files that are stored on the user’s computer that navigates through the Internet and, in particular, contains a number that allows the user’s computer to be identified univocally, even if the user changes their location or IP address.
Cookies are installed during Internet browsing, either by websites visited by the user or by third parties with which the website is related, and allow the user to know their activity on the same site or with others they relate this, for example: the Place from which you access, the connection time, the device from which you access (fixed or mobile), the operating system and browser used, the most visited pages, the number of clicks made and data regarding the user’s behavior on the Internet.
The website is accessible without the need for cookies to be activated, although its deactivation may prevent the correct functioning of the website.
2. Types of Cookies
Cookies can be classified according to the entity that manages them, according to the time they remain activated in the terminal equipment and according to their purpose.
The main obligation for companies or service providers in the information society or internet, through means such as web pages, platforms or computer applications is established in art. 22.2 of the LSSI that establishes:
“Service providers may use data storage and retrieval devices in terminal equipment of recipients, provided that they have given their consent after they have been provided with clear and complete information about their use, in particular, about the purposes of data processing, in accordance with the provisions of Organic Law 15/1999, of December 13, on the Protection of Personal Data. ”
Likewise, the cookies used for any of the following purposes are exempted from compliance with the obligations established in article 22.2 of the LSSI:
Allow only communication between the user’s equipment and the network.
Strictly provide a service expressly requested by the user.
In this sense, cookies that would be exempted from the obligations set forth in art. 22.2 those that have the following purposes:
- Cookies user input.
- Authentication or user identification cookies (session only).
- User’s security cookies. (erroneous and repeated connection attempts).
- Multimedia player session cookies.
- Session cookies to balance the load.
- Cookies customization of the user interface.
- Complement cookies to exchange social content.
These cookies are excluded from the scope of application of art. 22.2 of the LSSI, and therefore, it would not be necessary to inform or obtain consent on its use. On the contrary, it would be necessary to inform and obtain consent for the installation and use of any other type of cookies, both first and third, session or persistent, being subject to the scope of application of article 22.2 of the LSSI, about which will be useful the orientations of this document.
The cookies according to the entity that manages them, can be:
- Own cookies: Are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third party cookies: Those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that treats the data obtained through cookies.
The cookies according to the period of time that remain activated in the terminal equipment we can distinguish:
- Session Cookies: These are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page.
- Persistent Cookies: They are a type of cookies in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
The cookies according to their purpose, can be:
- Technical cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and the use of different options or services that exist in it, such as controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, access restricted access parts, remember the elements that make up an order, perform the purchase process of an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store contents for dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: These are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the user accesses the service , the regional configuration from where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in function of the analysis of the data of use made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: Are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, if applicable, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria as the edited content or the frequency in which the ads are displayed.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
The purpose of the cookie is to adapt the content of the web to your profile and needs, without cookies the services offered by any page would be significantly reduced. If you wish to consult more information about what cookies are, what they store, how to eliminate them, deactivate them, etc., please go to this link.